Layers of Skin Placement Opportunity
Retina has 2 placements available for students and young dancers for their next production Layers of Skin .
Layers of Skin is a unique contemporary dance performance project with 6 professional Retina Company dancers and 7 musicians from the Flemish music ensemble Aranis. The production will also have the ability to expand to cater for an additional 6 professional dancers and 12 community dancers from the area where the work is being performed. The premiere of this project will take place during the 30-year celebration of Cultuurcentrum Berchem in Antwerp, Belgium, before touring internationally.
Our layers of skin hide the bones, organs, muscles and nervous system of our body. It also hides who we are and the reality of our contents. The skin is the largest organ of our body and it wraps cerebral, physical and intuition into one package. These ideas will be explored physically, and then will be unfolded in front of an audience. The external appearance will be unwrapped as we discover the inner layers.
Retina work Monday to Friday each week, starting each day with technique class, followed by creative tasks for movement generation or learning taught material from choreographer Filip Van Huffel. For this production Filip will collaborate with dramaturg Daan Goor, composer Joris Vanvinckenroye and lighting designer Andy Hammond. Rehearsals will take place in Antwerp, Belgium.
This opportunity is being offered as Retina has received so many requests for placement opportunities from across Europe. Although the placement will not directly result in a job, a placement with the company enables you to understand the movement vocabulary in depth in order that you are better placed for future job opportunities. If not working for Retina, then we hope that it will enable a young dancer to gain professional experience in order to put them in a better position to gain a job as a dancer in the future.
- Dancers are physically fit and capable for a professional rehearsal process
- Dancers wish to undertake a daily technique class and creative process in Filip Van Huffel’s style
- Dancers will be responsible for filming footage of the process where required
- Dancers must be available for the whole rehearsal process: March 21st to April 8th and April 26th to June 25th 2011
- Dancers are wholly responsible for their own expenses, and will not receive any payment.
- Dancers must submit a completed application form that is attached here, can be downloaded from Retina’s website or requested via email
- Dancers must submit a film of themselves dancing a 1-minute movement phrase. This material should be able to demonstrate your technical skills, include full-bodied movement and continuous flow. You may want to refer to Retina’s movement style from films on the video page of the website. This film should be uploaded via vimeo, or send a a quicktime film via an application such as http://www.wetransfer.com. Email attachments must not exceed 10MB
- A current CV
Download the application form (Word, 117kb)
Layers of Skin is a Retina Dance Company production supported by Arts Council England, Nottingham City Council, Cultuurcentrum Berchem, Stad Antwerpen, District Berchem.